Member information on the Organics Recycling Group
In January 2013 the Association for Organics Recycling (AfOR) merged with the REA, resulting in a new REA sector group called the Organics Recycling Group (ORG). It promotes the benefits of composting, aerobic and anaerobic digestion, and other biological treatment techniques and the use of biologically treated materials for the enhancement of the environment, business and society. A diverse range of subjects is covered, from the collection and quality of source segregated biodegradable and mixed waste feedstocks through to use of composts, digestates and stabilised organic materials (the last of these being derived from mixed waste arisings).
The REA’s ORG and Biogas sector groups work closely together and many companies are members of both. ORG works with government and regulators with the aim of evolving policies and regulations which support the circular economy and place sufficient but not excessive controls on industry.
ORG’s Scottish branch engages with members and stakeholders who are interested in or affected by policies, regulations and other issues that are relevant in Scotland. You can email Head of ORG Scotland and Biogas Scotland Jenny Grant for any information regarding this.
ORG’s website provides news and information relevant to the sector, including health and safety, treatment technologies, policies, regulations and ORG’s responses to consultations. Events are promoted here, as too are the products and services of advertisers and sponsors.
Membership Benefits Include:
- Weekly REA e-news letter on renewables
- Fortnightly e-news letter about organics recycling topics
- Regular sector group meetings and opportunity to network, in London
- Opportunity to participate in working groups, when established for specific topics
- Visits to sites in the UK’s regions and study tours to other European countries
- Reduced rate delegate fees for REA training courses and events along with other discounted events held with partner organisations
- Technical enquiry helpline
- Listing in REA’s on-line directory of members with link to ORG’s website
- Access to the members’ area of ORG’s website which includes technical information and documents on consultations and meetings
REAL’s certification schemes
Renewable Energy Assurance Limited (REAL, a subsidiary of the REA) runs the following certification schemes which are relevant to ORG and Biogas sector group members:
Enquiries related to certification and sourcing of certified products should be addressed to the contacts provided under each scheme’s website.