Consistently identified as the most effective way to tackle climate change in the immediate term, the decarbonisation of electricity supplies has already progressed rapidly and we are here to push it further.
The REA has been active in the renewable power space since our inception in 2001, and was involved in championing and informing key policies such as the Feed-in Tariff, Renewables Obligation, and tax and grant schemes.
Our present electricity-sector work focuses on solar PV, biomass conversion, wave and tidal, landfill gas, gasification & pyrolysis, and energy storage. The REA’s work in electric vehicle charging infrastructure is also closely aligned.
A core cross-technology workstream for the REA is in promoting electricity system flexibility. The REA has led and supported the development of a number of crucial reports in this area, and is in regular contact with Government and Ofgem on the topic. The benefits of a smart, flexible electricity system are modelled in the National Infrastructure Commission’s seminal Smart Power report of 2016.
In 2019, the REA led on the development of:
- Developing flexibility: the new cornerstone of the grid (June 2019, see here)
- Flexible Futures: using data to understand and navigate the new power market (October 2019, see here)
- The Energy Transition Readiness Index (November 2019, see here)
The REA has also supported the commissioned work of our members in this area. Key resources include:
- BNEF: Beyond the tipping point: flexibility gaps in future high-renewable energy systems in the UK, Germany and the Nordics (2017)
- BNEF: Flexibility Solutions for High Renewable Energy Systems (2018)
- BNEF: Sector Coupling in Europe: Powering Decarbonization (2020)
See the resources, member forums, and news sections of the website for our latest work in this area.
NEWS & PRESS RELEASES — Nov 18, 2020
NEWS & PRESS RELEASES — Nov 12, 2020
BLOG — Oct 28, 2020
Blog reveals key takeaway from Wood Heat Online 2020 conference was widespread agreement biomass heat must speak with a united voice.
MEMBERS ONLY Nov 30, 2020
Energy Storage Forum Meeting
MEMBERS ONLY Nov 30, 2020
Solar Forum Meeting
Jul 10, 2020
Conducting community consultations in the age of COVID-19
Nov 24, 2020
REA Briefing for Members on the PM’s 10 Point Plan and 2030/35 Announcement
Nov 20, 2020
The REA has written notes after attending a BEIS workshop on Carbon in Flexibility Markets.
Nov 18, 2020
The REA has published its response to the PM’s 10-point plan and the ban on the sale of new petrol cars and vans by 2030.