Matt Western MP re-elected Chair of APPG on Electric Vehicles
- Matt Western MP has been re-elected as Chair of the APPG on Electric Vehicles
- Mr Western plans to use his position as Chair to drive forward the progression of EVs whilst supporting UK manufacturers and jobs
- The group’s priorities for 2020 include advancing the proposals of the Government’s EV Energy Taskforce report and building cross-party consensus ahead of COP26
Matt Western MP, the Member of Parliament for Warwick & Leamington, has been re-elected as Chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Electric Vehicles following an annual general meeting (AGM) held on the 20th January.
This will be Mr Western’s second term chairing the group following his initial election in July 2019. The group, which is comprised of parliamentarians committed to driving forward the debate around electrification of transport in the UK, aims to put key issues for consumers and industry onto the political agenda through cross-party cooperation and targeted events in Parliament.
This year is set to be a big year for Electric Vehicles and the APPG with a number of high profile policies and industry developments expected ahead of the United Nations Climate Change Conference, COP26, being held in the UK in November.
At the AGM the group set out their priorities for the next year, which includes:
- Scrutinising and progressing proposals set out by the Government-commissioned EV Energy Taskforce
- Working cross-party on any future amendments to the Automated and Electric Vehicles Act and alterations to building regulations which will affect how and when consumers charge their vehicles
- Bringing attention to UK battery manufacturing, the safeguarding of jobs, and how to support existing manufacturers in the transition to electrification ahead of key milestones such as the Budget
Matt Western MP, Chair of the APPG on Electric Vehicles said:
“Electric vehicles represent a major opportunity for the UK. Having worked in the automotive industry for over 25 years and seeing first-hand the benefits Britain’s iconic manufacturers have brought to my constituency, ensuring the UK retains its reputation as a leading manufacturer is a top priority of mine.
“The electrification of vehicles is a global trend and it is imperative that we are in a position of leadership from the outset. It is on us as parliamentarians to work together across party lines and facilitate the collaboration needed to ensure this transition is a success.”
Amy MacConnachie, Head of External Affairs at the REA (which serves as the group’s secretariat) said:
“The electrification of vehicles has become a burning issue the past few years due to the integral part it will play in improving air quality, decarbonising the power and transport sectors, and influencing the future of city planning. With all these different aspects coming into play, the APPG has become an invaluable tool, uniting stakeholders and giving parliamentarians the tools needed to drive forward the electrification debate.
“2020 and 2021 are shaping up to be milestone years for EVs with a many key policies expected to be announced ahead of COP26 in November. As secretariat, we hope to further grow the APPG as an inclusive forum for parliamentarians and stakeholders and continue to set the agenda for EVs in Parliament.”
The officers of the APPG for the coming year are:
- Matt Western MP (Lab) – Chair
- Dame Cheryl Gillan (Con) – Vice Chair
- Sharon Hodgson (Lab) – Vice Chair
- Sir Bernard Jenkin (Con) – Vice Chair
- Anna McMorrin (Lab) – Vice Chair
- Andrew Selous (Con) – Vice Chair
- Alex Sobel MP (Lab) – Vice Chair
- Lord Teverson (Lib Dem) – Vice Chair
For more information or to request an interview, please contact:
External Affairs Officer
+44 (0)20 7981 0862
Notes to editor
- The press release regarding Matt Western MP’s election in July 2019 is available here.
- The Government-commissioned EV Energy Taskforce released a report with 21 proposals which the group will be scrutinising and progressing. The full report is available here.
About the APPG on Electric Vehicles
The group engages parliamentarians interested in electric vehicles discussing issues related to manufacturing, energy supply, infrastructure requirements, and safety, amongst others. The APPG brings together manufacturers, businesses, media, NGOs, and experts to share information, promote awareness, and debate future policy options.
About the REA
The REA provides the Secretariat to the APPG on Electric Vehicles and is the UK’s largest trade association for renewable energy and clean technologies with around 550 members operating across heat, transport, and power. The REA is a not-for-profit organisation that represents renewable energy and clean technology companies operating in over fourteen sectors, ranging from biogas and renewable fuels to solar and electric vehicle charging. Membership ranges from major multinationals to sole traders.
If you would like to know more about the APPG on Electric Vehicles and its work please get in touch. Call Hayley Allen on 020 7925 3570 or email [email protected].