The REA has a long history of working to progress and champion the solar industry. The Association played a key role championing the Feed-in Tariff (FiT) and subsequently supported the sector’s growth in the 2010’s through training and detailed policy work.
From 2015 the REA argued for the sector in the face of cuts to the Feed-in Tariff, closure of the Renewables Obligation, removal of LECs, scrapping of the Zero Carbon Homes policy, hiking of VAT on solar and battery storage installations, and closure of Pot 1 of the Contracts for Difference scheme.
Recent REA work in solar is focused on establishing a route to market for solar at domestic, commercial, and standalone scales, amending building regulations, and supporting the emergence of a more flexible power sector.
The REA also works closely with the MSC scheme and it’s wholly-owned subsidiary Renewable Energy Assurance Ltd (REAL) runs the Renewable Energy Consumer Code for domestic solar installers.
REA’s Solar Forum provides its members with a direct solar offering and is an influential voice in the solar industry.
Key work areas of the Forum include:
- Building regulations
- Development of a more flexible power system
- Grid connection costs and processes
- Re-opening of Pot 1 CfD auctions & route to market for subsidy-free solar
- Lobbying for a fairer tax system (particularly on business rates & VAT)
- Consumer protection
Governance of the Forum
- CHAIR: John Macdonald-Brown, CEO at Syzygy Consulting
- Steering Group members: James Birch, CEO at Solecco Solar, Nikki Pillinger, Grid Connections Manager at GRIDSERVE, Greg Triantifyllidis, Technical Director at JBM Solar
To learn more, contact Isobel Morris at the REA.
NEWS & PRESS RELEASES — Apr 07, 2022
NEWS & PRESS RELEASES — Mar 21, 2022
NEWS & PRESS RELEASES — Feb 03, 2022
MEMBERS ONLY Aug 18, 2021
MEMBERS ONLY Apr 06, 2021
MEMBERS ONLY Dec 18, 2020
May 17, 2022
Ofgem have announced the final decision of the Access and Forward-Looking Charges Significant Code Review. Download our full briefing here.
May 5, 2022
CfD Decision Brief
Apr 28, 2022
Ofgem final decision on CMP308