Heat Network Zoning Consultation
REA Member Discussion: Heat Network Zoning Consultation
The Government believes heat networks are an essential part of the path towards decarbonising heat, enhancing energy security and achieving net zero by 2050. Currently providing about 3% of total UK heat, analysis has shown that heat networks could provide up to 20% of total UK heat by 2050. The Energy Act 2023 established the regulatory framework for heat networks in Great Britain and provides powers to introduce heat network zoning in England through secondary legislation.
On 18 December 2023, the government published a consultation on heat network zoning. A “heat network zone” will be a defined geographical area where heat networks are expected to provide the lowest cost solution for decarbonising heating. More details about this consultation can be found here.
The REA will be holding a member’s discussion to provide further information and to help develop the REA consultation response which will be due by 26th February 2024. This will be useful for technologies that are able to provide a source of heat which can generally be divided into the following categories:
• High temperature recoverable heat sources such as combined heat and power (CHP), Energy from Waste (EfW), combined heat and cooling as well as high temperature heat resulting from industrial processes.
• Low temperature ‘near constant’ recoverable heat sources – for example, wastewater treatment, datacentres, electricity transformers, gas compressors, mines, cold stores, underground railways.
• Low temperature ‘intermittent’ recoverable sources – for example, sugar mills, breweries, foundries, supermarkets.
• Ambient location specific sources – for example, solar, river, sea, canals.
• Ambient location agnostic sources such as air-to-water heat pumps
This online and members only event will be taking place on Thursday 1st February between 14:00-15:30. The agenda and joining details will be sent to those who register for this event.
Please contact [email protected] with any questions.