The REA’s Energy Storage Forum represents all energy storage technologies at all scales, and is the largest group of its kind in the UK. With over 200 active members, the group represents manufacturers, project developers, operators, and financiers operating in technologies including Li-ion, flow, and heat batteries, cryogenic and gravity-based systems, pumped hydro, and compressed air.
REA sees energy storage as the missing piece to energy policy in the UK, as it can balance supplies and demand to help deliver the low carbon energy when needed. The Energy Storage Forum’s goal is ensure energy storage is incentivised and supported appropriately.
The Forum works closely with Government officials and Ofgem on regulatory and policy areas spanning incentives, planning, building regulations and taxation. It also develops technical and training standards, where it can rely on the support of other REA forums working on issues such as decentralised energy and grid connection.
A crucial document for this sector, which included the majority of REA asks at the time, is the joint BEIS & Ofgem Smart Systems and Flexibility Plan, which is a road map for policy reform which will develop the sector.
Key work areas for the group include:
- Development of flexibility markets
- Capacity Market reform
- Implementation of the Smart Systems and Flexibility Plan, including introduction of a definition of energy storage in primary legislation
- Building regulations & SAP/EPC reform
- Grid charging and connections, including responding to Ofgem’s Targeted Charging & Access and Forward Looking Charges Reviews
- Planning, including queuing processes
- Health & safety
- Best practice
- Co-location with generation assets
Governance of the Energy Storage Forum
- CHAIR: Vijay Shinde, Head of New Technology Solutions at Siemens Energy
Steering Group members include:
- Alistair Steele, Senior Consultant – Energy Storage at DNV GL
- Louise Dalton, Senior Associate at CMS
- Richard Malloy, Manager – UK Energy Storage at Eaton
- Fernando Morales, Lead Analyst at Highview Power
- Michelle Davies, Partner and International Head of Clean Energy and Sustainability at Eversheds Sutherland LLP
- Marcelo Torres, Regulatory Manager – Markets at Drax
For further information, contact Frank Gordon at the REA.
NEWS & PRESS RELEASES — May 24, 2022
Government intervention a ‘moral and economic imperative’ with energy price cap set to reach critical levels
NEWS & PRESS RELEASES — Apr 07, 2022
‘Wholly inadequate’: Government’s Energy Security Strategy ‘fails to rise to the challenge facing the country’
NEWS & PRESS RELEASES — Mar 21, 2022
Industry coalition calls on Government to act on energy bill crisis
MEMBERS ONLY Sep 22, 2022
REA AGM 2022
MEMBERS ONLY Aug 18, 2021
BEIS Call for Evidence: Facilitating the deployment of large-scale and long-duration storage
MEMBERS ONLY Apr 06, 2021
Solar Forum Meeting
Mar 22, 2023
REA Response to Consultation on Proposed Reforms to National Planning Policy in the Levelling-up and Regeneration Bill
Mar 17, 2023
Members Briefing: Ofgem’s Call for Evidence on Distributed Flexibility
Mar 14, 2023