The REA’s Energy Storage Forum represents all energy storage technologies at all scales, and is the largest group of its kind in the UK. With over 200 active members, the group represents manufacturers, project developers, operators, and financiers operating in technologies including Li-ion, flow, and heat batteries, cryogenic and gravity-based systems, pumped hydro, and compressed air.
REA sees energy storage as the missing piece to energy policy in the UK, as it can balance supplies and demand to help deliver the low carbon energy when needed. The Energy Storage Forum’s goal is ensure energy storage is incentivised and supported appropriately.
The Forum works closely with Government officials and Ofgem on regulatory and policy areas spanning incentives, planning, building regulations and taxation. It also develops technical and training standards, where it can rely on the support of other REA forums working on issues such as decentralised energy and grid connection.
A crucial document for this sector, which included the majority of REA asks at the time, is the joint BEIS & Ofgem Smart Systems and Flexibility Plan, which is a road map for policy reform which will develop the sector.
Key work areas for the group include:
- Development of flexibility markets
- Capacity Market reform
- Implementation of the Smart Systems and Flexibility Plan, including introduction of a definition of energy storage in primary legislation
- Building regulations & SAP/EPC reform
- Grid charging and connections, including responding to Ofgem’s Targeted Charging & Access and Forward Looking Charges Reviews
- Planning, including queuing processes
- Health & safety
- Best practice
- Co-location with generation assets
Governance of the Energy Storage Forum
- CHAIR: Vijay Shinde, Head of New Technology Solutions at Siemens Energy
Steering Group members include:
- Alistair Steele, Senior Consultant – Energy Storage at DNV GL
- Louise Dalton, Senior Associate at CMS
- Richard Malloy, Manager – UK Energy Storage at Eaton
- Fernando Morales, Lead Analyst at Highview Power
- Michelle Davies, Partner and International Head of Clean Energy and Sustainability at Eversheds Sutherland LLP
- Marcelo Torres, Regulatory Manager – Markets at Drax
For further information, contact Frank Gordon at the REA.
NEWS & PRESS RELEASES — Mar 03, 2021
NEWS & PRESS RELEASES — Dec 22, 2020
NEWS & PRESS RELEASES — Oct 23, 2020
Richard Simon-Lewis, Head of Origination, Marketing & Communications for UK Export Finance, tells us about the government support available to help renewable energy companies export – including the new export development guarantee.
MEMBERS ONLY Aug 18, 2021
MEMBERS ONLY Apr 06, 2021
MEMBERS ONLY Feb 17, 2021
Oct 1, 2021
The REA have published the presentation slides from the 2021 REA Annual General Meeting, accessible to members.
Sep 30, 2021
Sep 29, 2021
REA Response to BEIS Code Reform Consultation