Record electricity generation for renewables as coal hits record low
- Government data shows record renewable electricity generation in Q2 2018 at 31.7%
- As renewable generation increased, coal generation saw a record low of 1.6% of generation
- Analysis by the REA, however, shows declining solar PV deployment amid falling Government funding and support
- REA urges Government to introduce policies to ensure the cheapest renewable options such as solar continue to grow
Government data, released today in the quarterly publication ‘Energy Trends’, revealed that renewables share of electricity generation reached a record high of 31.7% in the second quarter of 2018. As renewable electricity’s share of generation increased, coal’s share hit a record low of 1.6%.
Disappointingly, despite an overall increase in renewable electricity generation, analysis from the Renewable Energy Association of solar PV deployment data sees a drop in installations amid a lack of government funding and support. Between July and August there was only a 21MW increase in deployment in the UK. The REA believes that this is due to Government reforms and numerous negative policy changes in the past three years resulting in a lack of a route to market.
Commenting on the review, James Court, Policy & External Affairs Director at the Renewable Energy Association said:
“The record renewable power generation is a significant achievement for the industry. Renewables have never been more affordable and accessible as they are now and this is reflected in the data released today.
“However, for renewables to continue to become more affordable and for the UK to grow its green jobs base, the Government must continue to support the industry. Figures show that the lack of support is already having a significant impact on solar power for example which is currently the cheapest option for new power generation.
“Government must introduce alternative support and unlock a route to market if the UK is to benefit from cheaper, greener and smarter energy.”
For more information or to request an interview, please contact:
External Affairs Officer
+44 (0)20 7981 0862
Notes to editors
- The Energy Trends Statistical Report can be found here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/743696/Energy_Trends_September_2018.pdf
- The Energy Trends Statistical Press release can be found here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/743757/Press_Notice_September_2018.pdf
- Solar PV deployment data (Sept 2017 provisional) can be found here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/743054/Solar_photovoltaics_deployment_August_2018.xlsx
About the Renewable Energy Association (REA)
We are the largest trade association for renewable energy and clean technologies. Our 550 + member organisations range from energy utilities and renewable energy developers working across multiple technologies and solutions through to innovative niche technology companies and consultants. Our finance forum and other platforms support member organisations from the investment, insurance and legal sectors that enable this growing economy.
For more information, visit: www.r-e-a.net