On 13th June, the Scottish Government has published the Circular Economy (Scotland) Bill – see here.
The Bill will set out the legislative framework for Scotland to transition to a circular economy, and sets out requirements for Ministers to introduce members on areas including:
- Publishing a circular economy strategy
- Developing circular economy targets
- Reducing waste
- Increasing penalties for littering from vehicles
- Making sure individual householders and businesses get rid of waste in the right way
- Improving waste monitoring
The Bill was consulted on between May and August 2022; as well as on proposals for general legislation for Scotland’s circular in 2019.
The Bill requires Crown Consent, due to section 9 on the imposition of charges for single-use items and therefore may impact the businesses owned by the Crown in a personal capacity.
Please contact us here with any questions.